8 Salon Business Tips to Exceed Client Expectations
As all stylists know, the salon business is a very competitive market. More and more places are becoming very creative in hopes of attracting new clients and retaining the ones that they currently have. We have combed through some of our favorites to come up with a list of ideas for you to join the ranks of the most talked about salon in town. Below are some of the coolest offerings that we have seen.
1. Offer your clients a glass (or two) of wine or beer- Salons have been riding this intoxicating wave for years now. And aside from eliminating those pre-haircut jitters, stylists said that offering a glass of wine or beer also helps lubricate the social milieu, helping the clients to chill out and relax.
2. Free Wi-Fi- In today’s internet age, everyone loves and appreciates free internet access. The availability of free Wi-Fi service has a direct impact on whether people select to go to certain venues, according to a new report from In-Stat. The report noted that nearly two-thirds of those surveyed said the availability of free Wi-Fi influences their choice of destinations, while 31% of those surveyed said free Wi-Fi “may influence” their decision. Only 5% said the availability of free Internet access would have no impact on their decision.
3. iPads- The invention of the iPad has changed many people’s lives. Multiple salons that we have spoken to are now offering iPads for the clients to use while they receive their services. This is a great place for you to feature a catalog of your services and products while making everyones wait time more enjoyable as well.
4. Events- Plan events. Perhaps a wine and cheese evening where you can demonstrate a particular procedure or answer styling
5. Mix it up-Stay open late one night a week and while your clients are receiving their services, everyone can mix and mingle, listen to a hired DJ and enjoy some appetizers and cocktails.
6. Massage Chairs- Unfortunately, sometimes we are forced to make our clients wait. To turn the experience from a negative to a positive one, invest in a few massage chairs, where they can wait and relax while being pampered.
7. Start a loyalty program- Offer your clients points that accumulate based on dollars spent or number of visits and allow them to redeem the points for special services and products. This is a fantastic way to ensure that your clients will keep coming back to you.
8. A Kids Area- Devoting a small portion of your salon into an area where children can keep themselves occupied while their mother is receiving her treatments is priceless for many people. We have seen great set ups that are sectioned off with a couple small bookcases that house books, a few toys and some crafts. Some salons also have small televisions with a small DVD library that the kids can choose from.