Keratin Complex Canadian Formaldehyde Ban
Complex was one of the many products by the Canadian government last week. It was also one of the 10 individual products that the Canadian Government concluded did not meet their safety requirements. The Canadian Government maintains that no more than 0.2% of a product can contain . In the United States, that amount is 0.1%. The Canadian Government concluded that the products they put on their banned list contain up to 7% formaldehyde.
If you are a hair stylist that was using any of the products on the list, please be aware that the Government has issued a NO-Sale order on them. In other words, you may be violating criminal law by using whatever product you have remaining on a client or possibly even yourself.
Although Canadian law does not permit any product to contain more than 0.2% formaldehyde, and the Unites States law doesn’t permit a product to contain more than 0.1%, the Canadian government’s test of many popular hair smoothing treatments generating shocking results. 10 of the products tested, including products from Brazilian Blowout, Keratin Complex, Coppola, and iStraight by HBS Beauty. All of the 10 products contained dangerously toxic concentrations of formaldehyde of up to 7%, or more than 350% the legal permitted limit in Canada and 700% the legal permitted limit in the United States.
In response to these conclusive results, Health Canada has issued an Official Government Order to immediately stop-sale and use of the 10 products. Salons must immediately stop using the products on any of their clients. The 10 products that the Stop-Sale Order is restricting includes:
Brazilian Blowout Issued in October 2010
Brazilian Keratin Treatment (by Marcia Teixeira)
- Brazilian Keratin Treatment by Marcia Teixeira –1.8%
- Advanced Brazilian Keratin Treatment by Marcia Teixeira – 1.7%
- Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment by Marcia Teixeira – 1.6%
- Global Keratin Taming System Strawberry by Global Keratin – 3.0%
- Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Resistant by Global Keratin – 4.4%
- Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Light Wave by Global Keratin – 1.4%
- Coppola Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola – 1.8%
- Pro-Collagen RX Keratin Treatment – 2.8%
- IStraight Keratin (Advanced Keratin Treatment) by IBS Beauty – 2.3%
- Brazilian Thermal Reconstruction by Cadiveu – 7.0%